TierPoint, LLC has announced the completion of a new commercial data center in Oklahoma City, the largest such facility in the state.
Supported by $30 million in capital investments and located on TierPoint’s local, 15-acre business campus, the new facility is over three times larger than TierPoint’s first data center on that campus. The first facility opened in 2008 and will continue to operate with a full portfolio of services. TierPoint also owns and operates a data center in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
“We committed to this major investment because we’ve seen growing demand for enterprise-class IT solutions, including cloud, colocation, and managed services,” said Todd Currie, general manager for TierPoint’s Oklahoma City and Tulsa operations. “At the new facility, we already have working agreements in place with two anchor clients and strong interest from others.”
Oklahoma City-based Timberlake Construction served as general contractor for the project. Schneider Electric, a major supplier of data center infrastructure, led the mechanical, electrical, and plumbing work in coordination with United Mechanical Inc. and Osborne Electric Company, which are two of the largest contractors in Oklahoma.
Designed to state-of-the-art specifications for heightened strength, security and connectivity, the new, two-level facility features:
- Nearly 70,000 total sq ft, including over 21,000 sq ft of office space; more than 34,000 sq ft of raised floor data center space; and over 14,000 sq ft of support space
- Two power substations with separate entry points and a total capacity of 5,000kVA
- N+1 power redundancy and four diesel backup generators that will help keep the facility running in the event of an area power failure
- Enhanced construction to resist heavy wind and water, and a reinforced foundation to help withstand seismic forces.
- The roofing system is constructed of separate structural steel framing and DensDeck substrate elements to protect against moisture. Structural steel framing and load bearing concrete sheer walls provide resistance to wind pressures roughly equivalent to an EF4 tornado.
Security is further enhanced by:
- Tilt-up concrete panels, which surround each section of the building (office, data center, support space) creating multiple layers of physical security
- 24 x 7 on-site security personnel, who monitor all motion in and around the building, with a dedicated DVR system tied to cameras positioned extensively throughout the interior and exterior of the facility
- A secured entrance point or “mantrap,” where proper clearance and credentials are required before gaining access to the data center space.
Data connectivity will include dedicated access to TierPoint’s 10G national network and enable customers access to a half dozen on premise fiber carriers, including AT&T, Cox Communications, Verizon, Chickasaw Telecom, InfoSys, and Cogent. The new data center is also connected to TierPoint’s original DC 1 data center on campus via multiple private fiber paths for connectivity and redundancy.