The Vertiv Liebert GXT5 Lithium-Ion is a true online double-conversion uninterruptible power supply (UPS) with lithium-ion internal batteries that has been engineered to fully isolate critical IT from power problems. The lithium-ion batteries in the UPS are expected to last up to three times as long as traditional valve regulated lead–acid (VRLA) UPS batteries, resulting in a lower total cost of ownership and, for many customers, eliminating battery replacements altogether. The Liebert GXT5 Lithium-Ion UPS provides exceptional runtime on the internal battery with up to 14 minutes of runtime at full load. Each UPS also supports up to eight external lithium-ion battery packs to extend battery runtime for critical operations requiring longer battery runtimes.
The Liebert GXT5 Lithium-Ion offers several key benefits, including:
- The lithium-ion battery is more resilient to high temperatures than a VRLA battery, which is ideal for environments without dedicated cooling.
- The internal UPS battery offers industry-leading runtimes (up to 14 minutes at full load) to ensure availability of critical applications during an unexpected power loss.
- It is certified to meet industry UPS and lithium-ion safety standards such as UL 1778, UL 1973, and UL 1642, which ensures it's safe to use in critical IT environments.
- Hot-swappable, user replaceable internal batteries allow for the easy replacement of the batteries, if needed, without disrupting power to the connected equipment.
- Out-of-band management provides remote visibility of the UPS even with a lost primary network communication.
The Vertiv Liebert GXT5 Lithium-Ion UPS is engineered to protect critical network and distributed IT. It is an online double-conversion UPS that provides the highest level of power conditioning and power protection for critical business IT systems, such as network equipment and business servers. This ensures that mission critical systems and applications are protected in the event of any utility power problems, such as power surges or a complete loss of power. The Liebert GXT5 UPS protects against the widest range of power problems and seamlessly switches to battery backup if the quality of the input power is outside of acceptable operating levels. The UPS is widely adopted across many industries including education, health care, retail and wholesale, manufacturing/Industrial, government, telecom, banking/financial/insurance, transportation, and broadcast and entertainment.
Vertiv’s research, based on interviews with customers over time, has revealed several common challenges among edge data centers and distributed IT environments.
The top three are:
- Higher temperatures, typically caused by the lack of dedicated cooling;
- Increasing operating costs; and
- Limited IT resources.
The VRLA battery in traditional UPS systems compounds these issues for edge deployments as they are sensitive to high temperatures and commonly require battery replacements every three to five years. VRLA battery replacements are a serious burden on budgets when considering the cost of downtime, labor costs, and the cost of a new battery. They are also very heavy and require special care and planning to replace, which can be difficult when IT personnel aren’t on-site.
By moving to a UPS with lithium-ion batteries, the Liebert GXT5 Lithium-Ion provides an immediate solution to each of these problems to help prevent downtime. Lithium-ion is more stable in higher temperatures and for many customers will eliminate battery replacement altogether to remove the burden on already limited IT resources. At a fraction of the price of the network IT the UPS protects, it is a cost-effective solution to these common challenges at the edge. With support for optional network cards, free power management software, and integration into the Avocent ACS for out-of-band management, the Liebert GXT5 Lithium-Ion UPS also makes it very easy to remotely manage the device 24/7/365.
There are four features that make this product unique when compared to other UPS products available today.
- Exceptional runtime on the internal battery – backup time is of upmost importance for customers when choosing a UPS, and the Liebert GXT5 Lithium-Ion offers the best available runtime on the internal battery at full load versus competitive lithium-ion offerings.
- Scalable runtime with 1U lithium-ion external battery pack, which are smaller than 2U external battery packs that take up twice as much space. Edge deployments are often in space-constrained environments, and the new 1U lithium-ion external battery from Vertiv helps to maximize the available space. Each Liebert GXT5 Lithium-Ion UPS supports up to eight external batteries to maximize runtime.
- Hot-swappable internal batteries tested and certified for safety in critical IT environments, including the non-compulsory UL 1642 as well as standards UL 1778 and UL 1973.
- Integration into the Avocent ACS Serial Console Server – The Liebert GXT5 UPS integrates directly with the Avocent ACS to enable out of band management. Unlike other UPS solutions that lose all visibility when the network connection is lost, the Liebert GXT5 UPS with the Avocent ACS maintains critical visibility.
The mission critical industry relies on continuous power to ensure availability of critical applications. The industry as a whole is also faced with the migration to the network edge to support trends, such as AI, 5G, VR, and other remote and close-to-user applications. The Liebert GXT5 Lithium-Ion UPS is a space-saving solution that provides the on-line power quality and extended backup power critical to preventing downtime. The lithium-ion batteries greatly reduce this risk of downtime with exceptional battery runtime, extended runtime with external battery cabinets, and reduced replacement and maintenance with long-lasting batteries. Customers also have many goals pertaining to sustainability, including waste reduction. Lithium-ion batteries help to support this goal through both the elimination of the use of lead and the longevity of the batteries.
Vertiv has a continuous roadmap of new single-phase UPS offerings. The battery is a critical component of the UPS, and Vertiv will continue to research and develop UPS battery technology that is safe, secure, and helps customers to support select sustainability objectives.