HOUSTON — Shell Lubricants is expanding its product portfolio to include a new immersion cooling fluid for use in data centers that use heat-generating, high-performance computers with extreme processing speeds. This includes operations, such as machine learning, speech and facial recognition, cryptocurrency mining, blockchain, artificial intelligence, and more.
Shell Immersion Cooling Fluid is designed for liquid cooling data servers, which can help to significantly improve efficiency, including generating increased cryptocurrency hashrates. Made from natural gas using Shell Gas-to-Liquid (GTL) Technology, the cooling immersion fluid can also help organizations reduce their emissions.
“Shell Lubricants is committed to providing customers with immersion cooling fluid that will increase operating efficiency while offering potential carbon reduction alternatives,” said Darin Gonzalez, U.S. immersion cooling lead, Shell Lubricants. “As part of an integrated energy solution, Shell Immersion Cooling Fluid is designed to reduce energy costs and usage through its high cooling efficiency, flow behavior, and excellent thermodynamic properties.”
Data centers account for roughly 1% of global electricity consumption, a third of which comes directly from electronic cooling components. One of the most significant benefits of immersion cooling is sustainability and renewable energy. Compared with traditional air cooling, single-phase immersion cooling technology as an integrated solution can reduce energy use and carbon emissions in data centers by up to 48% through its high cooling efficiency, which is advantageous for data centers of all sizes.
Shell Immersion Cooling Fluid S5 X is optimized for natural convection-driven immersion cooling solutions, but can also be used in pumped/forced circulation systems. It can help eliminate cooling fans, thus reducing the energy used by cooling infrastructure and removing heat and allowing for higher hashrates within a safe operating range.
The use of GTL to formulate Shell Immersion Cooling Fluid S5 X enables it to achieve high levels of safety, performance, and reliability. Key attributes for Shell Immersion Cooling Fluid S5 X include the following.
Safety and Purity
- Dielectric fluid with specially selected additives and virtually free from impurities.
- The fluid is inherently biodegradable and does not present ozone depletion potential.
- Specifically selected additives enhance the fluid’s inherently high thermal and oxidation stability.
- The GTL base oil meets EU and U.S. pharmacopeia purity requirements.
- A non-halogenated, food-grade product that is free from allergens.
- Excellent thermodynamic properties — low density and high flash-point.
- The dielectric coolant is non-evaporating.
Protection and Reliability
- Compositional consistency and high oxidation and thermal stability.
- Contains virtually no sulfur, nitrogen, or aromatics, and is noncorrosive
Shell Immersion Cooling can offer data centers, blockchain technologies, and cryptocurrency operations a significant advantage as they work to become more sustainable, seek renewable energy, and look to reduce their carbon footprints. When integrated with other Shell Sustainability offerings, Shell Immersion Cooling technology can reduce and offset carbon emissions to meet customer needs.