OrientDB has evolved into a full-fledged replacement for MongoDB and Neo4J in the enterprise database game. OrientDB 2.1 Enterprise achieves that lofty status by using a different design methodology, which combines the advantages of the Graph Database Model and the flexibility of the Document Database model into a Multi-Model Database that functions as a hybrid NoSQL database. As a Multi-Model Database, OrientDB proves to be suitable to take on the demanding tasks of even the largest, most complex DBMS systems in use today.
OrientDB incorporates a plethora of capabilities that transforms large scale database operations into low cost, high performance actions. Evens more, Orient Technologies has partnered with the most trusted cloud services providers, Amazon Web Services, Jelastic, DigitalOcean and Microsoft Azure to create an instantly scalable cloud based NoSQL database that requires zero configuration to scale up or down on demand. Making OrientDB the ideal database for Big Data and other data intensive projects.
OrientDB 2.1 Enterprise brings innovative capabilities to the database market that broaden the appeal of the Hybrid (graphs & documents) Multi-Model Database by including:
- Advanced Security: New auditing functions allow OrientDB to be deployed in highly regulated environments. OrientDB Enterprise Auditing lets adopters track Change, Read, Update and Delete (CRUD) operations on every object. Polymorphic auditing allows objects to inherit auditing directives, further simplifying policy definitions.
- 24x7 Global Support Services: OrientDB has formally switched to 24x7 support. "Solid support is critical when deploying enterprise class software." said Luca Garulli CEO of Orient Technologies. "We now stand ready to help our customers at any time, day or night, including weekends and holidays."
- Industry Leading Stability – OrientDB has been tested by 1000’s of users in highly concurrent environments with extremely large datasets. Extensive feedback tied to the six release candidates has allowed the OrientDB team and external contributors to close a total of 389 issues with this release. “Customers and the user community have cooperated with us during the entire development cycle and helped us to battle-test this version in disparate use cases.” said Luca Olivari, president.
The above improvements build upon the capabilities already offered by OrientDB and cements the database as an industry leader for critical enterprise database operations. OrientDB offers:
- Industry leading performance: OrientDB is engineered to store as much as 400,000 records per second.
- Elimination of Joins: OrientDB’s hybrid engine eliminates the concept of a “join”, which is a time intensive task. Instead, OrientDB combines fast persistent pointers to create relationships that allow trees and graphs of records to be traversed in milliseconds.
- Zero Configuration Multi-Master Architecture: All servers in a deployment are treated as masters, eliminating the complex master-slave relationships. With OrientDB, throughput is never limited by a single server. Instead, throughput is directly related to the sum of the throughput of all master servers. This also simplifies scaling up, as scale is increased by just adding another server node, which is then automatically joined to the cluster, without any configuration needed.
- Enhanced reliability: OrientDB uses WAL (Write Ahead Logging) to protect data transactions. If a node crashes, automated controls redistribute loads across the remaining nodes, rollback pending transactions, without disrupting the applications. Transactions have full ACID properties.
- Ease of Deployment and Use: OrientDB is written entirely in Java and can run on any platform without configuration and installation. It’s a drop in replacement for the most common existing graph databases in deployment today. OrientDB focuses on standards when it comes to query languages. SQL, which is widely used and understood has been extended to also include graph functionality. Alternately, the Tinkerpop API, which is a standard among most graph databases, can also be used.
- Low Startup Costs and Total Cost of Ownership: There is no cost associated with using OrientDB Community Edition. The feature-rich, multi-model design of OrientDB reduces the need to support multiple products. When combined with the ease of use, zero-configuration multi-master architecture, and SQL based query language, OrientDB becomes an ideal choice.
This article was originally posted “OrientDB Releases 2.1 Enterprise” from Cloud Strategy Magazine.