Asigra Introduces Cloud Backup™ Version 13
The product is designed to provide converged data protection for cloud-based DR and backup of physical, virtual, cloud, and mobile environments.
Asigra Inc. has released Cloud Backup™ Version 13. Among the many features added in version 13 are Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service (DRaaS) enablement featuring VMware vSphere replication, endpoint data loss prevention, open infrastructure support for FreeBSD on ZFS and CentOS, and integration with Linear Tape File System (LTFS) for low cost long term retention of backup data.
Data protection complexity remains a challenge for enterprises seeking broad protection of multiple operating environments across distributed locations. While some categories of data have short recovery time objectives (RTOs) and frequent recovery point objectives (RPOs), others such as email archives have longer RTOs and infrequent RPOs. Managing a spectrum of data protection options to ensure end-to-end data recovery can be extremely complicated and costly. Asigra Cloud Backup Version 13 offers a converged platform that delivers a single, comprehensive solution for all data located on physical servers, virtual machines, mobile endpoints and cloud applications.
“Simplifying data protection activities while actually improving service levels is a real priority for IT organizations,” said Phil Goodwin, research director, IDC. “Asigra’s converged data protection aims to make life simpler for IT staff by reducing the complexity of managing multiple backup, DR and archiving solutions. In addition, their recovery-based pricing and deployment alternatives can help make the acquisition cost more budget friendly.”
What’s New in Asigra Cloud Backup v13:
- Converged Data Protection – Enterprises struggle to meet the convergence of data protection needs in a way that minimizes complexity and is cost effective. Asigra Cloud Backup version 13 addresses this need by including more integrated options for DR, backup/recovery, backup archiving and security.
- Disaster Recovery-as-a-Service Enablement – Version 13 includes VMware vSphere replication to meet rigorous recovery time objectives (RTOs). The new capability allows for replication without backup to one or more warm, on or offsite replicas. Suitable for the most demanding RTOs, Asigra eliminates the need for 3rd party VM replication solutions or special skills to manage and maintain the alternate solutions. There is no additional charge to existing customers for this feature.
- Optimized Support for Open Infrastructure – A rapidly evolving IT landscape provides enterprises with new opportunities, such as leveraging Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) or inexpensive new hardware if user infrastructure is flexible enough to allow it. Enterprises accustomed to using vendor specific infrastructure and storage struggle to keep infrastructure costs under control and do not have the budget to overhaul existing systems. To address this challenge, version 13 includes optimized support for open infrastructure choices like FreeBSD on ZFS and CentOS running on commodity hardware servers and storage.
- Linear Tape File System (LTFS) Integration – Long term retention of Data held for compliance purposes needs to be managed cost effectively. Compared to disk, tape is highly cost effective with as much as an 84% cost savings compared to disk-based storage over 9-10 years. Version 13 provides automated parking of old backup data to LTFS tape via the Asigra BLM Archiver to make it easy for aligning the cost of protection to the value of data.
- Docker Container Backup/Recovery – Addressing the enormous popularity of Docker and the rapid deployment of applications on the open source platform, Asigra Cloud Backup now provides the industry’s most comprehensive data recovery solution for application data in these environments, on-premise and in the cloud.
- Office 365 Data Protection - Using Asigra Cloud Backup, organizations can protect Microsoft Office 365 data at all times, automatically. The latest integration allows companies to recover data beyond documents and spreadsheets to include Exchange Online, SharePoint workspaces and OneDrive repositories.
- Mobile Device Geo-Location and Remote Wipe – Data on mobile endpoints needs better protection as hundreds of thousands of mobile devices are lost or
- stolen each year. For enhanced mobile device data protection, version 13 includes integrated geo-location and remote wipe at no additional charge to help enterprises close the mobile endpoint security hole. The feature allows users to find the location of lost or stolen devices quickly from the Asigra DS-NOC with a convenient Google Maps interface and wipe data remotely if required.
- Microsoft SCCM Integration – Allows IT administrators to easily and cost effectively deploy and configure Asigra Cloud Backup client software across thousands of Windows mobile endpoints not connected to the LAN.
- Full Chinese Localization - Enables easier administration for Chinese IT administrators and expands market opportunities for Asigra partners in the world’s 2nd largest economy .
Asigra Cloud Backup v13 is a platform and device agnostic software solution that can be deployed as a public, private or hybrid cloud through a certified Asigra Hybrid Partner. Asigra’s device coverage includes storage, servers, desktops and the broadest range of mobile endpoint devices including laptops, tablets and smartphones. The solution, delivered as a service by IT service providers or as software for private cloud use, is ideal for SMBs and enterprises challenged with data protection complexity or compliance concerns where data security is assured with NIST FIPS 140-2 certification.
“Version 13 provides the ability to recover data where it lives, more efficiently and at a lower overall cost and complexity,” said David Farajun, CEO and founder of Asigra. “Our converged data protection software is uniquely positioned to return organizations to productivity regardless of the environment, providing superior business continuity from the IT core to the edge.”
This article was originally posted “Asigra Introduces Cloud Backup™ Version 13” from Cloud Strategy Magazine.