EnerSys® Introduces DataSafe® XE Batteries
The batteries feature increased power density for modern critical UPS applications.
EnerSys® has introduced DataSafe® XE batteries, specifically designed in response to the evolving requirements of today’s modern critical UPS applications. Engineered with the most advanced Thin Plate Pure Lead (TPPL) technology and superior manufacturing processes, DataSafe® XE batteries provide high power, capable of supporting short duration runtimes under five minutes.
“Changes in the data center industry — such as the advent of cloud storage, the shift to colocation companies and the growing trend toward modular, containerized power and a shift toward shorter runtimes — have placed new demands on battery technology,” said Dan Roche, marketing manager, UPS, at EnerSys. “Today’s batteries must break new ground. The batteries must be capable of providing more power at shorter run times and able to operate in higher ambient temperatures, while lasting longer.”
DataSafe® XE batteries by EnerSys are the first TPPL batteries to be specifically designed to address the evolving data center space. The construction of the batteries is key to their unique performance. EnerSys manufactures DataSafe® XE batteries using a highly controlled grid fabrication process for maximum consistency and advanced, high purity structural and active material for optimum conductivity, electrical performance and energy efficiency.
The Technology Behind DataSafe® XE Batteries
DataSafe® XE batteries with Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) construction and TPPL technology greatly reduce both grid corrosion and grid growth common in conventional alloyed lead acid batteries, providing optimum conductivity and performance. The use of high purity materials also reduces gas generation within the cell. As a result, DataSafe® XE batteries have an extended operating temperature range of -40 F (-40 C) to 122 F (50 C) enabling users to reduce cooling costs. The lack of impurities also improves battery shelf life by as much as three times over conventional batteries.
DataSafe® XE batteries with TPPL technology pack more plates into each two-volt cell, yielding greater surface area and better active materials utilization. With this energy-dense design, smaller, lighter batteries are able to achieve the same run times as larger conventional lead acid batteries with reduced recharge rates. Following a full discharge, DataSafe® XE batteries can achieve 100% State of Charge (SOC) in 50% less time, compared to conventional lead acid batteries.
Save Energy, Reduce Costs with TPPL Technology
“DataSafe® XE batteries are specifically designed to meet the needs of the evolving data center market,” said Roche. “We estimate that, compared to conventional lead acid batteries, DataSafe® XE batteries can reduce the total cost of ownership by up to 25% compared to conventional lead calcium monobloc batteries.”
DataSafe® XE batteries with TPPL technology reduce UPS operating costs through:
- Enhanced energy density with sub five-minute discharge rates
- Wider operating temperature: enables the user to lower environmental cooling costs compared to conventional lead calcium monobloc batteries
- High cyclic capability/longer operational life compared to conventional lead calcium monobloc batteries
- Almost three times the shelf life (17 months vs. six months) compared to lead calcium monobloc batteries at 77 F (25 C)
The DataSafe® XE Battery Offering
The DataSafe® XE battery line includes the following front terminal models:
- 12XE1010F-FR – 12 volt, Front Terminal
- Dimensions: 22.1” L x 4.9” W x 11.1” H, Weight: 107 lbs.
- 561mm L x 124mm W x 282mm H, Weight: 48 kg
- 12XE1110F-FR – 12 volt, Front Terminal
- Dimensions: 22.1” L x 4.9” W x 11.1” H, Weight: 114 lbs.
- 561mm L x 124mm W x 282mm H, Weight: 51.7 kg
- 12XE1150F-FR – 12 volt, Front Terminal
- Dimensions: 22.1” L x 4.9” W x 12.5” H, Weight: 129 lbs.
- 561mm L x 124mm W x 317mm H, Weight: 58.5 kg