The Central Arizona Project is the largest supplier of renewable water in the state of Arizona is seeking a Communications Engineer/Technician.
The announcement reads as follows:
We operate and maintain a 335 mile long aqueduct and pumping plant system that stretches from our source at the Colorado River to the communities of central and southern Arizona. On a yearly basis, we pump and deliver over 1.5 million acre-feet (over 521 billion-gallons) of water to enhance the state’s economy and quality of life and ensure sustainable growth for current and future populations of Arizonans. CAP is highly respected and takes great pride in providing the people of Arizona this service reliably, cost effectively and in an environmentally sound manner with the highest regard for employee safety and health, evolving public needs and customer satisfaction. Central Arizona Project is a family of caring people who work with pride to create a safe, supportive and friendly workplace.
We employ nearly 500 people who enjoy the close community of a small company while helping to fulfill our extremely valuable mission. We offer highly competitive salaries and excellent benefits including membership in the Arizona State Retirement System, partial employer matching of 401(k) contributions, medical, dental, vision and life insurance coverage, 4-10 work schedule, and significant investment in employee training and development. Employees are eligible for benefits on their first day of employment. (Benefits are subject to change at any time). CAP is truly a Great Place to Work!
In this position, you would engineer and maintain modern electronic communications technology, including digital microwave, digital trunked mobile radio systems, fiber optic networks and security video surveillance systems. You would assist Senior Communications Engineers in the design and implementation of new communications technologies, and in developing and conducting performance tests to ensure system designs and equipment requirements are satisfied. You would develop and update preventive maintenance procedures based on manufacturers' recommendations and repair trends. You would also perform corrective and routine preventive maintenance on CAP electronic and communications systems. Some specific responsibilities include:
- Maintaining and testing digital communications systems and related equipment.
- Installing equipment and cabling per EIA/TIA standards.
- Using electronic test equipment, such as spectrum analyzers, frequency counters, RF power meters, OTDR's (Optical Time Domain Reflectometers), oscilloscopes and multimeters, along with a variety of other complex specialized test equipment to troubleshoot, develop, and execute test plans.
- Applying personal computer to interface with electronic equipment for maintenance and analysis.
- Maintaining system-specific applications necessary to optimize the communication systems.
- Assisting Senior Communications Engineers to develop and maintain preventive maintenance procedures for Microwave, Mobile Radio, security and fiber optic systems.
- Using wiring diagrams, schematics, service manuals and standard operating practices as needed to accomplish work.
- Assisting Engineering Services in maintaining as-builts for the CAP communications systems.
- Performing equipment deficiency analyses, writing reports and recommending solutions to the Communications Supervisor and Senior Communications Engineers.
- Revising written documentation to keep current all changes to equipment or circuit configuration.
- Providing training and technical assistance to customers and technical staff.
To be successful in this position, you must possess a broad working knowledge of network communications including at least five (5) years of recent experience as a communications technician, be skilled in MS Word and Excel, have the ability to work with a variety of complex programs and databases, have experience reading and interpreting technical design and installation drawings, and have a valid Arizona driver's license and maintain a good driving record. Holding an AS degree (or higher) in Electronics Technology or a closely related field, experience with Internet Protocol-based point to point wireless backhaul networks, proficiency in the use of Visio (or related software), and an FCC General Radio Operator's license are all highly desirable.
For more details about the position (including the physical requirements) and to apply online, please visit our website at www.cap-az.com/jobs. Or see the classified ad on the Mission Critical home page.