Facebook Wins DatacenterDynamics Award For Swedish Data Center Design
The super-efficient, mega-scale data center uses 100% fresh air cooling
Facebook won the Innovation in the Mega Data Center award for its radical design in building a super-efficient mega scale data center in Luleå, Northern Sweden at the Datacenter Dynamics EMEA Awards held in London on December 12, 2013.
A panel of industry experts cited the design, adopted by Facebook, which has allowed for a far more energy efficient operation based on using 100% fresh air cooling.
"DatacenterDynamics are leaders in the data centre industry and so winning this is huge recognition for us. We're delighted with our involvement in DatacenterDynamics and being part of the data centre industry is very important to us," said Niall McEntegart, Datacenter Operations Europe, Facebook.
Facebook designed each of the components within the facility including software, servers, equipment cabinets, electrical systems and cooling fans to drive maximum efficiency.
The gala event, held at the Lancaster Hotel in London was hosted by top comedian and actor, Vic Reeves.
The following companies also picked up awards:
- Asetek, Inc – ‘Future thinking and design concepts’
- ttsp hwp seidel GmbH – ‘Data center blueprints’
- Enagas – ‘Innovation in the micro-data center’
- Colt – ‘Innovation in the medium-data center’
- Facebook – ‘Innovation in the mega-data center’
- Colt – ‘Improved data center energy efficiency’
- UKFast – ‘Innovation in outsourcing’
- Servicio de Madrileño de Salud – ‘Leadership in the public sector’
- Green Mountain Data Centre – ‘The green data center’
- French Customs and Excise Office – DNSCE – ‘Innovation in IT optimisation’
- Cannon Technologies Limited – ‘The most extreme data center deployment’
- Alexander Nock – ‘Young mission critical engineer of the year’
- Bank of New York Mellon – ‘Data center special assignment team of the year’
Two individual awards were also made on the night.
The Data Center Business Leader of the Year Award went to Franek Sodzawiczny of Zenium
The Outstanding Contribution to the Industry Award was made to Emma Fryer of TechUK whose tireless campaigning led directly to recognition for the UK data center industry under the Government’s Climate Change Agreement. This was announced last week by Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne in his Autumn statement.