Heard on the Internet: March 2013
Enterprise advice for cloud computing and colocation customers
The Uptime Institute
Posted by mstansberry on 13-03-2013
A 2012 Uptime Institute survey of global data center owners revealed that 85% use some form of colocation or cloud computing. Yet 54% had no confidence in their ability to compare cost and performance of outsourcing alternatives dependably.
Currently, the vast majority of enterprises deploy a hybrid computing environment. The decision is no longer binary — whether or not to outsource.
March 19, 2013
Report: The CIA and Amazon are in cahoots over secret cloud
Author: Barb Darrow
Now here’s a story that will probably never get confirmed: Federal Computer Week is reporting that the Central Intelligence Agency has contracted cloud kingpin Amazon Web Services to build a cloud for the super secret spy agency.
There can be a lot of speculation on what kind of cloud the CIA would want, but one thing is almost for sure. The CIA cloud is not a public cloud.
March 21, 2013
This Data Center Comes With a Theater on Top
Author: Robert McMillan
The stylish data center operators who brought you the underground bunker from outer space and the modular data center of the future are cooking up a new plan. This one involves a 120-year-old gas plant in the center of Stockholm stacked with five floors of servers and a high-tech theater on top.
March 21, 2013
Opening Data Centers From New York To Chessington To Dublin
Data Center Dynamics
Author: Ambrose McNevin
Today finds me in Dublin to visit Microsoft’s mega site just to the West of the City. It is March so everyone here complaining about the weather. Everyone, that is, I’m sure, except Microsoft. The firm moved here, it said, as much for the cool, damp climate as for the friendly investment environment. I’m being given a tour of the latest extension to the site.
@DataCenter Mktpl 21 Mar
Cisco, others see run on data center switches: Data center Ethernet switch revenues exceeded...http://t.co/KS3L4FQyBR
@451Research 21 Mar
RT @vishal_the451: checkout the enterprise mobility panel at #HCTS Europe http://lnkd.in/mW68a4
From Our Website (as of March 21st)
Most Popular Stories
1. Addam Friedl Joins ESD
2. Andy Cvengros Joins Jones Lang LaSalle
3. Microsoft Expands Data Center In Virginia
4. Schneider Electric Launches New Mission Critical Initiatives
5. GE Launches Critical Power Business
6. Ascent Launches CH3 Data Center Development
7. CyrusOne Commissions Fourth Data Center
8. Data Racks from AMCO Enclosures
9. Choosing Between Transformer-Free and Transformer-Based UPS Designs
Most emailed articles:
1. Microsoft Expands Data Center In Virginia
2. Data Center Site Selection Based on Economic Modeling
3. CyrusOne Commissions Fourth Data Center
4. GE Launches Critical Power Business
5. When Lightning Strikes
6. Secondary Market is FIRST in Efficiency
7. When Lightning Strikes
8. Secondary Market is FIRST in Efficiency
9. The Next Generation Modular Data Center: Efficient, Agile, Sustainable
10. U.S. Green Data Center Market Poised For Growth