Power Assure CEO Proposes Key Questions to Assess Data Center Power Consumption
"While ripping out an existing data center and starting over may seem like the best approach, it isn't practical for most companies," explained Brad Wurtz, president and CEO, Power Assure. "Increasing the efficiency of existing data centers can save millions of dollars per year in operating expenses, and avoid 100s of millions in CAPEX outlays to build new a data center."
Wurtz advises "C" level executives to ask their data center managers a series of questions to ascertain if money is being wasted due to inefficient management of energy and power resources. Some of these include:
- How frequently do you measure power usage?
- What is your baseline power usage?
- How much of the power allocated to your data center is actually used?
- What is the limiting factor for your data center, space cooling, or power?
- What is the average utilization of the servers in your data center?
- What is the power efficiency of your data center servers?
- Which applications consume the most power?
- Do you have a roadmap for improving power management capabilities?