“Challenges associated with inter-related virtualization, server, storage, application, and network equipment has spawned demand for a new class of technology-the modular data center,” said Rob Sweaney, president, PDI. “i-CON was specifically designed to help customers ride the wave of this next-generation infrastructure-giving them the power and flexibility they need, while keeping an eye on cost and efficiency savings.”
i-CON is built from a standard ISO shipping container, customized with key attributes of a standard brick-and-mortar data center. This compact design enables equipment to be easily deployed while PDI’s patented Branch Circuit Monitoring Systems (BCMS) and customized monitoring interface allows for remote, real-time power quality monitoring of voltage, current, kW, kVA, power factor, container, and rack measurements including rack capacity, temperature, fan speed, load, and other key performance metrics.
Additional key features of the i-CON system include:
- Modular server racks that are vendor-neutral with a capacity of 48 U per rack. There are 672U of standard 19 in. rack-mounts in a 40 ft container. Multiple i-CON containers can be stacked and placed side-by-side for increased density per square foot.
- Rack-based modular cooling solution enables i-CON to operate with as little as 1 populated rack without efficiency losses.
- The DynaCool On-Demand Cooling System integrated self-contained cooling units (SCU) for maximum efficiency and serviceability.
- Rack-level scalability for optimized IT capacity deployment-one container, or one rack at a time.
- Adjustable, upgradeable keyed extraction racks for ease-of-service.
- PDI’s Proven Powerwave Overhead Bus System: Monitored flexible overhead power distribution to the racks with both redundant and non-redundant power architecture options.
- The i-CON Facility Management System offering remote access for both container and rack-level control.
“One of the challenges our customers face is keeping pace with the increasing complexity associated with the expansion of data centers,” Sweaney added. “By moving the entire data center into a secure, accessible container, i-CON is helping our customers to address these challenges head-on. The i-CON solution enables organizations to expand capacity in a fraction of the time it would take to build out a green field data center and at a substantially lower price point.”
i-CON technology can be customized to meet customer specifications across a wide multitude of IT equipment vendors and configurations, including but not limited to: HP, EMC, Sun/Oracle, Dell, Cisco, IBM, SGI, DataDirect Networks, and LSI.
PDI will demonstrate i-CON at the following trade shows:
- 7x24 Exchange show on November 14-17, 2010 in Phoenix.
- Dallas Datacenter Dynamics show on December 7, 2010.